There will be no school on Monday, May 30 – Memorial Day
Dear Addams Community,
These past two weeks, students completed the Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) assessment in the areas of reading and mathematics. This assessment measures student growth over the course of the school year and is one of the data points we use to drive our instruction. Students are assessed three times during the year with growth goals established upon completion of the fall assessment. As we begin to analyze the data, we have been thrilled with the growth seen by our students!
We understand that this assessment is but one data point we use to assess the progress of our students and the success of our school. However, we can say we are truly proud of our students and recognize all of their teachers’ efforts in preparing our students for success. Individual student MAP results will be mailed home.
8th grade Dance
- The 8th grade dance will be held this Thursday, 5/26, from 6 – 8 pm.
- Tickets are $5 and will be on sale this week during lunches.
- Students must have no missing assignments and meet set behavioral expectations to participate.
End of the Year Expectations:
- Please read the Board Policy regarding student assignments and participation in graduation. “In order for eighth (8th) grade students to participate in the Graduation Ceremony, all academic assignments must be completed by the student and received by the teacher by May 27th. Advance notice of this guideline shall be provided to all eighth (8th) grade students and their parents/guardians.”
- Please note the date of graduation is May 31st at Schaumburg High School at 8:30 p.m.
- If you know your 8th graders will not be attending our graduation ceremony on May 31st, please call the main office at 847-357-5900 to let us know.
- In addition, missing assignments, missing textbook/books and student behavior account for student participation in both 7th and 8th grade end of year activities.
Wow! 7th Grade Language Arts students worked hard all week to reach their MAP Goals. We can’t wait to see if we reach our 90/90 goal and can have a whole school celebration next week!
Please click here to open the 8th grade Dance and Activity Day Food Permission Form.
Dear Addams Community:
I have two wishes for the Addams community this weekend. First, to all mothers, I hope you have a relaxing and peaceful Mother’s Day. We appreciate your love and support. My second wish is that you do not miss the opportunity to catch up on the astonishing accomplishments of our students and staff by reading our last PTA sponsored Addams Apple for the year! Click here and scroll down to Addams Apple, May 2016 to be amazed! A special thank you goes out to parent, Linda Gudex, for putting together the newsletter this year. Read the rest of this entry »
7th Grade Language Arts students spent this week reviewing author’s purpose using a variety of entertaining movie clips. Then, the mood turned more serious, as we practiced applying our knowledge of author’s purpose by reading different articles about homelessness. We will finish up our homelessness discussions next week and move in to MAP preparations!
8th Grade Language Arts students kept a growth mindset tackling some Shakespearean language while preparing for the MAP test.
7th Grade Language Arts students are now experts on the Titanic! We spent this week researching our questions about the Titanic, watching videos about the Titanic II, and reading an article that outlined the Titanic’s voyage. Ask your students what interesting, new information they learned.
8th Grade LA students are mastering some difficult literary terms using Total Physical Response techniques. Ask them to show you their moves!