On Wednesday, November 18th, 8th grade parents are invited to attend a parent presentation to get more information on the Explore assessment and general information about high school. The presentation will be given by support staff from Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates and Conant high schools at Addams Junior High. A separate presentation will be given from 5:30 pm to 6:15 pm for Spanish speaking parents. The general presentation will be given from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm.
To encourage healthy living & help reduce pollution, Addams students are asked to walk or bike to school on Tuesday, October 6th. If you can’t walk or ride a bike to school we ask that you walk or bike over the weekend.
8th Grade LA students enjoyed reading about the 1955 World Series between the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees. Students were encouraged to wear Cubs or Sox shirts on Monday as discussed team rivalries. We wrapped up the week enjoying Abbot and Costello’s hilarious sketch “Who’s on First?”
Over 140 of the 7th grade students participated in Language Arts FLEX this week. They expanded their knowledge of theme, text evidence, vocabulary, writing, and plot in each different FLEX group. Students created their own hilarious stories using the Random Plot Generator, used their word part knowledge to compete in a vocabulary game, and listened to a story that will help them remember the plot diagram. We can’t wait for the next FLEX!
The Scholastic Book Fair is coming to Addams! You may visit the fair during school on October 6th and/or 7th and purchase books during this time. Please stop by during Parent Teacher Conferences also. Online orders can be placed until October 18th. Visit the book fair home page to order. http://tinyurl.com/addbookfair2015.
School District 54 is hosting its 11th annual Run to Read on Sunday, Sept. 27, at Dirksen School, 116 W. Beech Drive in Schaumburg. Thank you for supporting our goal to collect 1,000 children’s books for every classroom in District 54.
Anyone who registered by Sept. 24 can pick up their packets at Dick Pond Athletics, 1772 W. Algonquin Road in Hoffman Estates on Sept. 25 and 26. There will also be packet pickup on the morning of the race starting at 7 a.m.
- 7 a.m. – race day registration and packet pickup
- 8 a.m. – 100-yard dash for children in first grade and younger in the grassy area behind the school
- 8:15 a.m. (estimated time, based on when the 100-yard dash ends) – 400-yard dash for children in sixth grade and younger in the grassy area behind the school
- 8:45 a.m. – 5K run starts
- 9 a.m. – one mile walk starts
- 10 a.m. (estimated time, based on when the runners finish) – awards ceremony in the gym. Awards will be presented to the top male and female winner and the top age group winners in the 5K.
- All individuals participating in any run or walk must register in advance.
- The cost to participate is now $10 for junior high school age and younger, $20 for high school students and adults age 60 and older, and $30 for adults ages 19 to 59.
- There is also a family rate of $50 for the walk only.
- Online registration is available until 5 p.m. Sept. 26.
- No bicycles, skates, scooters or pets are allowed on the courses.
- Strollers are allowed on the walk and run.
- Please stay to the left on the walk and the run. Police will be present, but the roads are not closed to traffic.
For more information, visit http://sd54.org/runtoread (online registration is available at this link).
Mrs. Banks will be sponsoring an Art Fundraiser this year. Your child will be able to put one of his/her artworks on numerous items such as mugs, dog tags, mouse pads, ornaments, stickers, calendars, lunch bags and much more. If your child is currently in art, they will receive the information and special art paper from Mrs. Banks. If they are not in art, they will have to stop by the art room 105 this week to pick up the art paper. The art work is due on October 22nd for ordering. The ordered items will be delivered on December 8th, right in time for the holidays. The school will benefit by earning 33% of the order total which will help the art program. All of the information is on a link on this website; it is called Art To Remember. There are specific guidelines for the work so please read the information. Your child can view the excellent quality of item samples in the cafeteria during lunch.
Dear Addams Community:
I hope you all had a great week! Our students continue to shine in and out of the classroom as they let the “growth mindset” guide them through the learning process. We look forward to seeing many of you on October 8th or 9th for Student-Led Conferences. A mailing was sent to all parents today with signup information. You should receive it no later than Tuesday’s mail. If not, contact the office and we will send home an additional copy.
If you are looking for something to do on this beautiful evening, head over to Schaumburg High School as our amazing 8th grade band will be taking part in Friday Night Lights football festivities.
Chris Bingen and David Szwed
Jane Addams Junior High
Every Friday 8th grade Language Arts students apply what they are learning to a popular song. This week, students are looking forward to using their ability to determine author’s theme to the song “I Lived” by One Republic.