News from Addams 8/1/2017
I hope this letter finds everyone relaxed, refreshed and ready for the challenges of the 2017-2018 school year! We have been hard at work preparing Jane Addams Junior High for the upcoming year and look forward to seeing our returning 8th graders and getting to know our new students and their families. Please see below for important information for the beginning of the school year.
- Information Day: School of Information Day will be held on August 10, from 9 am – 11 am and from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm. This is a fantastic opportunity for students to receive their schedules for the school year, purchase a PE uniform and a yearbook. Please fill out the enclosed order forms and bring them with you on Information Day. Additionally, we will have Student Ambassadors available to give incoming 7th graders and new 8th graders a short tour of the building. We hope that you will be able to attend, but if you cannot, schedules can be picked up in the main office beginning on August 16.
- Proof of Residency: Whether you rent or own your home, all families must prove residency before the beginning of the school year. Correspondence has been mailed to your home if we are in need of this information. Schedules will be withheld if residency is not current or you have not proved residency. In the event you have not proved residency, bring required paperwork to Information Day
- Chromebook One-to-One Initiative: This coming school year, each Addams student will be issued a Dell Chromebook laptop computer as the district is continuing a one-to-one digital learning program. Parents, 7th graders and new students need to attend one of the following parent meetings before receiving the Chromebook: August 10 at 8:15 am or August 10 at 4 pm. Returning 8th grade students and families do not need to attend the Chromebook parent meeting. Also, all parents are required to fill out the optional Chromebook insurance paperwork (enclosed in this mailing) regardless of whether or not you choose to purchase insurance.
- Student Schedules: The process of scheduling a junior high school of 725 students is extremely complex. All students were given the opportunity this past winter to pick two elective choices, but were told that their choices were not guaranteed. While we tried to honor these requests, not all students will receive the elective they chose. As such, we will not be able to change schedules if students did not receive their first choice for electives. Doing so would create unbalanced classes and upset the instructional environment for all. Thank you in advance for understanding.
- Accelerated vs. Acceleration: In continuing to provide our students the most challenging and appropriate educational placement, Jane Addams offers specific classes focused on student needs. As a point of clarification, accelerated classes are available in mathematics that offer an increased level of complexity and rigor. Additionally, acceleration classes are provided to students in need of additional support in the areas of reading and mathematics. In both cases, placements are determined using the data from the previous year’s classroom and standardized assessments.
- School supply list: We do not sell school supplies on Information Day. Please look at the website.
- Pizza Permission form: Please complete the attached pizza permission form and bring it with you on Information Day. If this permission form is not filled out, your child will not be able to purchase pizza. Food Permission Letter 2017-2018
- Addams Block Party: Please join us on August 10th (the same day as Information Day) from 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm for the 4th annual block party event. We want to offer our sincere appreciation and thanks to Old Town Pizza Co. and Culver’s on Wise Road for donating their time and delicious food for the event. See the enclosed flyer for details.
- First day of school: The first day of school, Monday, August 21, is for 7th graders only! On this day, we will lead the students right off the bus or out of their parent’s cars into the gym for an introductory assembly and then spend the day getting them used to “all things” Addams. Students will be given a tour of the building and have a significant amount of time to try lockers, get organized and take part in many other activities to reduce the anxiety of starting junior high. This is considered a regular day of school, with the building opening at 7:30 am and students dismissed at 2:15 PM.
All students will be in attendance (7th and 8th graders) on Tuesday, August 22.
If you have any questions regarding the above information do not hesitate to call the school office at 847-357-5900.
Chris Bingen Principal